Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy just delivered a stark warning to SpaceX: get to the moon faster or lose NASA's lunar contract. Speaking on CNBC Monday, Duffy said he's opening Artemis contracts to other companies as the U.S. races China back to the lunar surface, marking a potential shakeup in America's moon plans.
The space industry just got put on notice. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy isn't waiting around for SpaceX to catch up on its moon mission timeline, and he's ready to shake up NASA's Artemis program in a big way. Speaking on CNBC's "Squawk Box" Monday morning, Duffy made it crystal clear that America's return to the moon won't be held hostage by one company's delays.
"We're not going to wait for one company," Duffy, who's currently serving as acting NASA administrator, told viewers. "We're going to push this forward and win the second space race against the Chinese. Get back to the moon, set up a camp, a base." The comment represents a major shift in NASA's approach to its flagship lunar program.
SpaceX won the coveted lunar landing contract back in 2021, beating out competitors to provide the landing system for astronauts on the Artemis III mission. But the timeline has been slipping ever since. Just last December, NASA pushed back the next Artemis missions again - the crewed lunar flyby moved to April 2026, and the actual moon landing got bumped to 2027.
Now Duffy's suggesting even more aggressive timelines. He thinks the April launch could happen as early as February, and he wants astronauts back on the lunar surface by 2028 with "two potential companies" handling the mission. The not-so-subtle dig at SpaceX's track record couldn't be clearer.
"They push their timelines out, and we're in a race against China," Duffy said, directly calling out SpaceX's delays. "The president and I want to get to the moon in this president's term, so I'm going to open up the contracts." It's a remarkable public rebuke of Elon Musk's company from the nation's top space official.
The timing couldn't be more pointed. SpaceX has been struggling with its Starship program - the massive rocket that's supposed to carry astronauts to the lunar surface. The company just completed its eleventh Starship test earlier this month, but the path has been littered with explosions and setbacks. Last month, competitor Firefly Aerospace's Alpha rocket exploded shortly after the FAA cleared it for testing, highlighting the broader challenges facing the space industry.
Duffy specifically highlighted Blue Origin as a potential alternative, giving Jeff Bezos' space company a major opening to challenge SpaceX's dominance. Blue Origin has been working on its own lunar lander as part of the broader Artemis ecosystem, alongside traditional aerospace giants like Boeing, Lockheed Martin, and Northrop Grumman.
The geopolitical stakes couldn't be higher. China has been making aggressive moves in space, with plans for its own crewed lunar missions. Duffy's comments reflect growing anxiety in Washington that America might lose its edge in the new space race. "Win the second space race against the Chinese" isn't just rhetoric - it's becoming the driving force behind U.S. space policy.
But there's a major wrinkle in Duffy's plans: the ongoing government shutdown. When CNBC reached out to NASA for comment on the contracting process, they got an automatic reply saying the agency was closed. The irony is thick - Duffy wants to accelerate the moon program while the government shutdown could actually slow down contract negotiations.
Still, NASA employees working directly on Artemis missions with contractors like SpaceX and Blue Origin are continuing their work during the shutdown, according to previous CNBC reporting. The moon program is considered too critical to pause.
SpaceX didn't immediately respond to requests for comment, but this public challenge from NASA's acting administrator represents a significant escalation in tensions. The company has grown accustomed to being NASA's go-to contractor for everything from crew missions to satellite launches, but Duffy's comments suggest that relationship might be cooling.
The broader space industry is watching closely. If Duffy follows through on reopening contracts, it could trigger a new round of competition among aerospace companies hungry for a piece of the lunar economy. Blue Origin has been waiting years for this kind of opportunity to prove itself against SpaceX's dominance.
Duffy's ultimatum to SpaceX signals a fundamental shift in how NASA approaches its most ambitious missions. The days of single-contractor dominance might be ending, replaced by genuine competition driven by geopolitical urgency. Whether this pressure leads to faster progress or creates new complications remains to be seen, but one thing is certain: the race back to the moon just got a lot more competitive.